Lemon oil is another essential oil that I use on a daily basis. I keep it on my kitchen counter so it’s handy when I need it. I add it to my drinking water, use it when cleaning, run it in my diffuser and even use it to stop bleeding when I cut myself.
But wait, there’s more…
Lemon contains compounds that have been studied for their effects on immune function. According Jean Valnet, M.D., the vaporized essence of lemon can kill meningococcus bacteria in 15 minutes, typhoid bacilli in one hour, Staphylococcus aureus in two hours, and Pneumococcus bacteria within three hours. Even a 0.2% solution of lemon oil can kill diphtheria bacteria in 20 minutes and inactivate tuberculosis bacteria.
Therapeutic-grade lemon oil is anywhere from 65 to 72% d-limonene. Limonene has been studied for its effectiveness in cancer prevention and tumor regression.
It promotes clarity of thought and purpose, as well as health, healing, physical energy and purification. Its fragrance is invigorating, enhancing, and warming. Lemon has been shown to have antidepressant effects in research done by Komori, et al., 1995.
Lemon oil has been widely used in skin care to cleanse skin and reduce wrinkles. It may also help brighten a pale, dull complexion by removing the dead skin cells.**
- Use 6 drops of lemon oil and 6 drops of Purification oil in a squirt bottle mixed with distilled water to use in the bathroom as an air freshener.
- Use 1-2 drops of lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots or crayon.
- Use 1 drop of lemon oil to add flavor to baked goods or beverages.
- For homemade lemonade, ream 1/2 an organic lemon, add 2 drops of lemon essential oil, stevia or agave to taste; add 2 cups of pure water.
- To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops of lemon oil. Drop your cleaned fruit into the water and stir.
- Add 2-3 drops of lemon oil to water and spray counter tops to sterilize them.
- Soak your dishcloth overnight in a bowl of water and a drop of lemon oil to disinfect and kill germs.
- Add a drop of lemon oil to your dishwasher before the wash cycle.
- Rub a drop of lemon oil on your hands after using a public bathroom.
- Use a paper towel soaked with several drops of lemon oil to sanitize bathroom fixtures.
- Rub several drops of lemon oil on legs daily to improve circulation.
- Rub a drop of lemon oil to clean a butcher’s block or other cutting surfaces.
- Put 10-15 drops of lemon oil in each gallon of carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains and brighten the rug.
Of course, when ingesting essential oils, only use pure, unadulterated therapeutic-grade essential oils. For that reason, I use and recommend Young Living essential oils.
**Safety Data: Avoid direct sunlight for up to 12 hours after use.